What is VPS?
VPS (Virtual Private Server) is a great option and cost-effective solution when comes in advanced, medium to big web hosting. It guarantees a certain degree of website security, scalability, resource allocation for you to run a higher resources consuming website.
VPS partitions the server environment and allocates a larger storage space, resources, and services to each individual. As each VPS is a virtual partition, it is independently separated from the server environment.
Advantages of VPS:
- Cost-Effective, by allocating more resources at a lower price as compared to Dedicated Server
- Scalable and Upgradable, resources can be increased and reduced depends on requirements
- Customizable, having all the basic features for web hosting but allow more customization.
- Multi-functional, a VPS is suitable for multi-purpose of web applications such as websites, e-commerce platforms, or function as email servers.
Disadvantages of VPS:
- Technical requirement, you might be requiring some technical basic to utilize your online platform in VPS
When you should choose VPS
- Medium to large range website
- E-Commerce web application
- Complex interactive web platforms
Summary Table of comparison between Shared Hosting, VPS and Dedicated Server
|Characteristics||Shared Hosting||VPS||Dedicated Server|
|Disk Space Provided||Up to 30GB||Up to 100GB||Up to 2 x 4 TB|
|Monthly Data Transfer||Up to 50GB||Up to 2000GB||Unlimited Data Transfer|
|Bandwidth Allocation||20Mbps – shared with other site||10 Mbps||100Mbps|
|Platform Available||Linux & Windows||Linux & Windows||Linux & Windows|
|Density of Shared User||300||Low||No shared user|
Source gathered from WebServer.com.my